Menu Bottom



About Us

The Colby Memorial Library has been serving the Danville community for over 120 years. It is, and always has been, our goal to improve and enrich the lives of all of our citizens through information, education, recreation, and empowerment. We value our library members and respond to their needs by providing well organized and up to date collections, as well as a friendly atmosphere that is cared for by a well trained staff that is committed to serving our community. 

 

Mission Statement

"It is the mission of the Colby Memorial Library to promote self-education, to advance knowledge, to inspire creativity, and to strengthen our community. We are committed to empowering and enriching the lives of our library members by providing free and equal access to the resources and collections that we have developed to meet the needs of our community."

 

A Brief History

The Danville Public Library was established in 1892.  For the first 80 years of our existence, we operated out of the Danville Town Hall, in what are now the Tax Collector and Selectmen's Administrator's offices.  In 1942, Lester A. Colby set up a trust fund for the purpose of Danville having its own library building.  The Colby Memorial Library was dedicated in 1972, on the site of the former Chase Shoe Factory.  On March 20th, 2004, we unveiled a 4,200 square-foot addition. 

Image of oil and canvas portrait of Lester A. Colby courtesy of McKeen Studios in Haverhill, MA

Portrait of Lester A. Colby courtesy of McKeen Studios in Haverhill, MA